Tuesday, July 2, 2013

College Tips: Move in!

Hi guys!
In a little over a month, I will be starting my sophomore year in college. I wanted to reflect on my freshmen year and give you all some tips on move-in day to help it go smoothly.

BEFORE MOVE IN:

Tip 1: Sign up for orientation!
At my school, at least, if you are signed up for Freshmen Orientation, student volunteers will move you in to your dorm, meaning you don't have to carry all your stuff up to your room by yourself. Good stuff.

Tip 2: Don't bring your whole life.
Seriously one of the biggest mistakes I made. I lived in a single dorm my freshman year, so it wasn't as big of a deal, however, I had a lot of stuff around that I just didn't need (sweaters in August, 2 different pairs of essentially the same boots etc.). Think about what you actually need and coordinate that with how often you will go home during the year.

DURING MOVE IN:

Tip 3: Stay calm.
On my move in day, EVERYONE got on my nerves. This is most likely your last day with your family for a while, so make the most of it while moving in.

Tip 4: Be prepared.
Make sure your belongings are organized enough to set up things when you get there and so that you can find what you need.

Tip 5: Dress appropriately.
I think it was around 95 degrees on my freshman move-in day. Wear something cool and comfortable, you'll be moving a lot of stuff.

Tip 6: Buy things near your campus.
Don't bring things you can get at any nearby store all the way from home. After you settle into your room, you can stop by a nearby grocery store/Target/Walmart and pick up food (especially cold things), shampoo, and other necessities.

Tip 7: Explore campus!
After you're done moving in, meet up with a friend, your roommate, go with your family, or even by yourself and figure out the campus--fun things to do, classes, important offices, etc.


Things in your room may not be perfect on the first day. You might decide to move things in the coming weeks, so just make sure that you can get to what you need on your first day and that it's at least somewhat organized--it's fine to move things around as you progress through the year!

Good luck!
Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment